Monday 9 January 2012

Low Carb Blueberry Muffins

Craving a breakfast treat that is cakey, sweet but low on carbs?  Voila.  These gorgeous little gems are low carb blueberry muffins made with coconut flour and fresh blueberries.  They are to die for and store well in the refrigerator for easy grab-and-go snacks.

I had one today with a bit of cream cheese along with my steaming cup of coffee and I was in heaven.  They come together in snap and in under 20 minutes you will have a fresh fruit muffin waiting for you.

Now you may look at the quantity of flour and go, WHAT?  Only 1/3 cup for 6 muffins ?  Yes, just 1/3 cup is all you need. Coconut flour acts like a moisture sponge so a little goes a long way.  The key is to get the right liquid to flour ratio so you don't have sopping wet muffins or bone dry ones.  I found that 2 tablespoons of coconut milk (though almond milk will work too) is enough.  The 3 eggs really carry the weight of adding moisture to the recipe.

So if you are ready, let's get started.

RECIPE:
*adapted source recipe:  Sugar-Free Coconut Raspberry Muffins


WHAT YOU NEED

3 eggs  at room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
2 tablespoons coconut or almond milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar substitute; I used Erythritol
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup fresh blueberries

MAKE IT

HEAT oven to 375° F. P
LINE 6 muffin cups with paper liners
IN LARGE BOWL, whisk together eggs, butter, milk and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined
IN MEDIUM BOWL, whisk together flour, salt, sweetener and baking powder
ADD blueberries to dry ingredients and toss until coated
FOLD dry ingredients into wet ingredients
LET batter rest for 5 minutes
WITH ICE CREAM SCOOP,  fill each muffin cup evenly with batter
BAKE 18-20 minutes until tops spring back when touched
LET COOL in pan 10 minutes then transfer muffins to cooling rack
STORE cooled muffins in a ziploc bag or sealed container in the fridge and eat within a wk

ENJOY !



7 comments:

  1. I starting a low carb diet and I appreciate your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nutritional info, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much fat and saturated fat are in these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't track nutritional info. I just eyeball it to see if it contains all low carb ingredients.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for this! I am a carb-aholic and trying to drop 20 lbs by the end of August. I am going to try making these tonight. All the other recipes I found online look hard and compicated and as a 25 year old male with dorm room cooking experience I was put off till I found this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these today, doubling the recipe and adding a scoop of protein powder and an extra egg. Very tasty, and very easy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete