Wednesday 4 January 2012

Welcome 2012

I know. I have been bad.  Nearly a month has gone by without a post.  I do apologize. I guess all I can say is life took over, especially the holiday period.   Did I indulge food-wise?  You betcha; but it was all planned.  I intended to take 2 wks off my eating plan and I did just that.  I enjoyed the relaxed foodie atmosphere and the sweets but get this, I got sick of it all and fast.  I felt bloated, lethargic and had major headaches.  So it is safe to say I am back on the low carb band wagon and have been since Xmas.

During the holidays I did maintain my exercising though and last week I added a new workout routine. Check out the December issue of Oxygen magazine for their weight and jump rope combo. It is amazing. In just 2 wks I already see new definition and can feel the strength in my muscles. I love it !

Food-wise, I am moving back and forth each day between slightly higher carbs to lower carbs. I find the cycling affect really kick starts any plateaus and I have noticed it works better for me that just sticking to low carb day in and day out.  Now I don't go crazy.  On my higher carb days I swap the eggs and ham or protein shake for breaky for steel cut oats topped with some slivered almonds, blueberries, coconut milk and sugar free syrup.  It is an especially great breaky prior to a taxing workout and gives me the energy I need to push through to the end.


Now on to New Year's Resolutions.  Have you made any? I have not.  Reason being is that I don't do New Year's Resolutions.  I just keep moving forward each and every day regardless of what year it is.  So this year is no different.  I will continue exercising, eating the right way for me and ensuring I remain at the top of my priority list.

I have added a few new things to my day to day life though because I was simply ready for more; for more of the GOOD STUFF.  Meditation has increased greatly and I meditate twice daily.  Visualization techniques, deep breathing exercise and yin yoga now all play a very significant self-care role in my day.  I also journal more and each day before rising I go through a mental gratitude list. It is a wonderful way to kick start any day.

I also bought a wonderful book and cannot get enough of it. It ignited my new yin yoga practice and has helped me in cultivating more mindful awareness each and every day.  It is titled The Way of the Happy Woman by Sarah Avant.



Lastly, I have changed the way I exercise.  I have managed to stop the chatter in my mind while doing reps or rebounding.  Prior to this change, I would quickly drift off into endless mind-yammering: "what is for dinner, did I get the right groceries, did I sign the kids school agendas today,  am I ready for this afternoon's meeting...."  Well no more.  Reading a recent article in Oxygen magazine really resonated with me.  I believe it was Tosca Reno herself who said if you aren't showing up mentally for your workouts then don't show up at all. What she meant was that for a truly effective workout, you need to FOCUS on your muscles as you lift those weights, or jump rope, or whatever you choose to do.  She is right.  When I pay attention to the movements of the muscles my workouts are 100% better and more effective.   I highly advise you give this a try too if you also catch yourself in the "mind is racing" game during exercise.  If thoughts creep in just recognize that it is happening and redirect your attention back to your muscles.  It takes some perseverance but it is worth it.

In closing,  I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday and are ready for a great year ahead. 2012 will be your best year yet !  Let's enjoy it together  :)

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment