After a strenuous workout, nothing beats a protein shake but getting it low carb can be tricky. I cannot stand protein powder and water - BLECH - and milk is out. so here is a low carb chocolate peanut butter recipe that has all the taste of a milkshake without the milk and carbs ! I had this today after my weight routine and felt as if somehow I MUST be cheating !!!
Stick with natural peanut butter with no additives and especially no sugar. If you are really keen, most health food stores now have an area set aside where you can make your own peanut butter.
The addition of cocoa powder really makes a big difference in this recipe. The darker the better. I use a strong, rich, dark cocoa powder. Try it, you won't regret it!
So let's get started.
In blender (that can crush ice) blend together all the following until smooth and frothy
WHAT YOU NEED / MAKE IT
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 2 teaspoons dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder ( I use Cocoa Barry - Extra Brute)
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 heaping tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 heaping tablespoon sugar-free, natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla bean extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 packets sweetener (I use Splenda)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ice