Tuesday 27 March 2012

Gluten-Free Banana Muffins

I stumbled upon this gorgeous muffin recipe while surfing foodgawker the other day.  The photo lured me in and once I saw the ingredients list I was hooked.  Clean eating at its best!

Now, as is the norm for me, I switched things up a bit - adding some extra spices and going with my all-time fave Agave Nectar as sweetener but feel free to use raw honey if you prefer.

These muffins are light, moist and taste just like banana bread.  Consider tossing in some mini dark chocolate chips or chopped walnuts too. They would make great additions to this yummy baked treat.

The ingredients are fantastic. No artificial flavorings or an assortment of gluten-free flours needed. Bananas are obviously one of the main players but so is almond flour.  You will even get to skip the xantham or guar gum which we usually find in GF baked goods.

As far as almond flour goes, and you can either make it yourself or buy store bought.  I always buy JK Gourmet brand because I like its texture.



So if you are ready to make one sweet, delish banana bread muffin then let's go !

RECIPE:
Adapted recipe:  Gluten-Free Banana Muffins, Love + Cupcakes

WHAT YOU NEED

2 large ripe bananas, mashed
3 eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla bean paste or extract
1 tablespoon agave nectar
¼ cup coconut oil
2 cups almond flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

MAKE IT

LINE 12 CUP MUFFIN TIN with paper liners
PREHEAT oven to 350F

IN LARGE BOWL, whisk together first 5 ingredients
IN SEPARATE BOWL, whisk together remaining ingredients
FOLD dry ingredients into wet ingredient until thoroughly combined
WITH ICE CREAM SCOOP or tablespoon, fill muffin liners 3/4 full with batter
BAKE 35 minutes or until tops spring back when touched
REMOVE from oven and let cool in pan 5 minutes
TRANSFER muffins to cooling rack

ENJOY !


2 comments:

  1. june in irelandMarch 27, 2012

    Thanks for this, Linda. I've been looking for a gluten-free flour that actually 'works' when it comes to making baked goodies taste like - well...like proper and delicious baked goods should, so I'm eager to look in my local health food shop (or on line) for some almond flour. Have you ever heard of or tried a new (to me) brand of gluten-free flour called 'Dove flour'? A friend of my hubby's told him about it, and so I'm now eager to try it, as I'm cutting back as much as I can on the carbs, and my hubby is taking the Paleo route these days, so it will serve us both to find a gluten-free flour that really 'does exactly what it says on the tin,' LOL. These do sound (and look( dee-lish, so I'm eager to try the recipe. - June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutley the best tasting muffin I have made with almond flour. Actually, I used almond meal from Trader Joes and raw honey from our own bees. Delicious and satisfying! Only problem...I couldn't stop eating them!!

    ReplyDelete